Ancient temples, rock-cut tombs and Roman villas with elaborate mosaic floors all reflect the highly sophisticated societies which inhabited Paphos in the past. With a history dating back more than eight thousand years, the town offers a wealth of treasures to the visitor.
The Ottoman baths of Paphos are also known as Hammam, Loutra and Turkish baths. They are from the Medieval times. It is a stone built structure, with a stone vault. It is a typical bath of the Ottoman era and consists of three main rooms: a reception area, then a second room where visitors used to undress and finally the main baths.
The famous ‘Tombs of the Kings’ form part of the Archaeological Park of Kato Pafos (Paphos) – one of the most important archaeological sites of Cyprus that has been included in the UNESCO World Heritage Sites list since 1980.
Saranta Kolones is a ruined medieval fortress, situated near the harbour, built by the Lusignans at the beginning of the 13th century on the site of a previous Byzantine castle. It was destroyed by an earthquake in 1222.
The Asklepieion is sanctuary dedicated to the god of medicine, Asklepeios, it was also used as a healing centre. It is situated to the south of the Odeon and southwest of the Agora. It is a large building complex with several rooms and a square courtyard.
The Agora, situated in front of the Odeon, dates from the middle of the 2nd century A.D. It formed a square courtyard measuring 95 x 95 metres, with colonnaded porticos. The columns of the colonnade have Corinthian capitals but no flutes.